We have had our Healthy Living Policy at the Family Centre for a wee while now and we make a big effort to make sure the children and adults who come here have tasty, interesting and health food.
We know that too much sugar isn’t very good for us, but we don’t always know when we’re eating and drinking it.
The Family Centre’s Health group investigated the hidden sugar in our food and drink last year and will be looking more closely at what’s in our food this spring. They are learning about how to read and interpret food labels and will use some of these resources to help:
- How to count your sugar intake: http://www.wikihow.com/Count-Your-Sugar-Intake
- Find out what’s in individual foods: http://caloriecount.about.com/foods
- Understanding food labels: http://multimedia.food.gov.uk/multimedia/flash/eatwellflashlabel.swf
- Details about food labelling: http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/food-labelling.aspx
- A game to help you understand food labels: http://www.nourishinteractive.com/kids/healthy-games/7-ride-the-food-label-game-nutrient-information
- How many sugar cubes in our food: http://www.sugarstacks.com/
- Scary Easter egg info!! http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/calories/calorie_counter/easter_eggs.htm?from=h2