Come join our award winning team
You are welcome to drop in with your wee ones, have some food and a chat with other parents and staff to find out what we are offering this spring. We’ll have lots of things for the kids to play with so you have time to talk and there will also be tutors from West Lothian College and Women N2 Work to talk about their courses.
New parents are welcome so please pass on if you know someone who might like to come – it’s the ideal time to take that first step through the door…
Registration forms are now available for the new terms Range clubs.
Please note: the clubs are changing slightly:
1) ALL clubs will be based at The Range and be outdoor focussed in all weathers.
2) ALL clubs will be ‘active’ with limited access to computers or games consoles
3) This terms registration will run till the end of December – re-registration will be required in January 2016.
4) The clubs will be £2 each.
Any questions please ask or email email@example.com
We have had our Healthy Living Policy at the Family Centre for a wee while now and we make a big effort to make sure the children and adults who come here have tasty, interesting and health food.
We know that too much sugar isn’t very good for us, but we don’t always know when we’re eating and drinking it.
The Family Centre’s Health group investigated the hidden sugar in our food and drink last year and will be looking more closely at what’s in our food this spring. They are learning about how to read and interpret food labels and will use some of these resources to help:
- How to count your sugar intake: http://www.wikihow.com/Count-Your-Sugar-Intake
- Find out what’s in individual foods: http://caloriecount.about.com/foods
- Understanding food labels: http://multimedia.food.gov.uk/multimedia/flash/eatwellflashlabel.swf
- Details about food labelling: http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/food-labelling.aspx
- A game to help you understand food labels: http://www.nourishinteractive.com/kids/healthy-games/7-ride-the-food-label-game-nutrient-information
- How many sugar cubes in our food: http://www.sugarstacks.com/
- Scary Easter egg info!! http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/calories/calorie_counter/easter_eggs.htm?from=h2
The start of a new year is an ideal time to try new things, meet new people, make changes and explore fresh ideas so, if you’re a parent with children under 5 years old and in need of some opportunities to socialise with other parents or some extra support, you might want to join one of our parents’ groups.
Our Open Day is on Tuesday 14th January – drop in between 9.30 and 11.30am to see what services we offer for families.
If you are new to the area you can find a map here »
Everyone is invited to our Annual General Meeting at 7pm on Wednesday 20th November in Unit 2 (just behind the Family Centre). This is a great opportunity to enjoy some nibbles with our Board and staff, hear all about our great work and to see our latest film. We look forward to seeing you, just let any staff member know that you will be coming for catering.
An 18 week course run over 6 months, starting in October 2013 and finishing in March 2014. You will gain qualifications and work experience in Childcare/Playwork and Employability Skills, which will help you to find employment in this sector or to go on and do further childcare/playwork qualifications.
For more information please look in our leaflet here »
Alternatively, you can call 01506 857581.
An application form is available here »
We think that the cold Scottish winter might have changed at last into the sunny Scottish spring, so we’re planning to bring the Playbase to green spaces around Broxburn and Uphall during May and June.
In case you haven’t heard about it, it’s part of our outreach work and consists of two tents which fit together to form an exciting outdoor play space. It’s designed and equipped for families with children under 5 years old and gives them a chance to run about mad, get messy or just chill out in the tent.
We’re going to be popping up in places around Broxburn and Uphall to share with families who live in the area of the Family Centre what we do best… PLAY!!
So look out for us on Wednesday mornings in May and June, we’ll post details of venues where we’ll be on our facebook page a few days before, so if you ‘like’ us you’ll get the latest news. If you don’t do facebook, give us a call on 01506 857158 to find out where we’ll be.